Monday 29 March 2021

Exclusive: Is your Nigerian passport expired? Here's how to renew it here in the UAE

Are you a Nigerian expatriate living in the UAE?

Is your passport expired?

If yes, then this blog post is for you!

My journey:

My Nigerian passport expired in December 2020 but because I was busy, I did not start the passport renewal process until February 2021.

This was my second passport renewal in the UAE hence I tried to follow the same easy and prompt process I used 5 years ago.

Basically there are 2 ways of filling the application form and making payment: Going online at www.immigration.gov.ng and going to an office called OIC in JLT, Dubai.

I used the OIC service the last time I renewed my passport so I thought to use them again.

So on Tuesday the 25th of February, I headed to OIC, Cluster I, Silver Tower, 22nd floor, 22A with my old passport, a photocopy of my old passport and aed511 (that's about $140). 

They can be reached via phone on: 042765448.

The customer service I got there was swift, prompt and cool and within 10 minutes, I was done.

I did not even do much, the agent who attended to me did the form filling and everything.

At the end of it all, he handed me the printed application form, acknowledgement slip and payment receipt and told me the days and times the Embassy in Abu Dhabi works.

He however added that I would need a negative PCR test result to enter Abu Dhabi.

The OIC agent said these documents should be presented in person to the Embassy.
1️⃣. Passport Application form
2️⃣. Payment Slip
3️⃣. Acknowledgement Slip
4️⃣. Expired Nigerian Passport (Original)
5️⃣. Photocopy of Applicant’s data page of Nigerian Passport and UAE residence visa
6️⃣. Two current passport-size photographs with white background
7️⃣. An applicant will be required to appear in person for biometric.

E-Passport processing days & time:
🔴 Sunday- Thursday 09:00HRS - 12:00HRS

On Wednesday the 3rd of March, around 8am, I headed to Abu Dhabi.
I did not drive but took an Uber ride from DXB.
Because of the pandemic, buses are no longer allowed but I understand one can take a shared taxi (2 people at aed150 per person) from Ibn Battuta taxi park.
By 9.15am, I had reached the embassy for my biometric.
I saw a few people there also waiting to be captured but we were all attended to duly.
In no time, I was asked to submit my documents and in no time I was called in by the very friendly staff for my biometric.
Everything was swift and fine until I got the shocker of my life!
The embassy informed me that they had run out of booklets and did not know when my passport would be ready!!!!
I was surprised and sad because the last time I renewed my passport (5 years ago), it was ready the same day (Tuesday), even though I went back to pick it up 2 days later.
5 years ago, passport renewal days were only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The embassy said they'd call me once my passport was ready.
The good thing was, the few times I called them, I was responded to promptly.
Also, they replied to every Email I sent to them and were quite empathetic!

On Wednesday the 24th of March, I got a call from the Embassy that my passport was ready!
I was elated with joy!!!

But boy, 3 weeks after I went for my biometric???!!!

Another snag now was the passport collection.
I did not wanna go through the stress of doing another COVID test and going back to the embassy in Abu Dhabi to collect the passport.
So I opted for Emirates Post (EMPOST) to come to my house in Dubai to collect my old passport and an authorization letter from me and take to the embassy so they could collect my new passport on my behalf and have it delivered to me in Dubai. (Return service it's called).
That cost me aed63 and the whole process took about 5 days.
To cut the long story short, I now have my passport with me!

The Nigerian Embassy in Abu Dhabi is not like the Nigerian Embassy in other places (Atlanta-USA, UK etc), where many citizens complain of the alleged crappy services.
If not because of the shortage of booklets which I blame the government for, my 2-time experience at the Nigerian Embassy in Abu Dhabi has been wonderfully memorable!

Nigerian Embassy Abu Dhabi contact details:
Villa No 642/3, off Arab Gulf Road, 3rd street, near Singapore Embassy, Abu Dhabi.
Tel: 02 4431503 Ext 123 or 114
Email: nigerabudhabi@yahoo.co.uk

Empost courier service: 600599999
(It's not toll free, so make sure you have enough credit on your phone).
Kindly note that only Nigerians with valid UAE residence visa (not tourist visa) can renew their passports in the UAE.
Plus, if you are thinking of traveling out for summer and your passport is almost expired, start the process now, to avoid stories that touch because it may not be 'kpa kpa kpa' (fast) as you think!
I hope my journey and these details will help you on your own passport renewal process.
If you have any question, kindly send me an Email: 2yeenb@gmail.com

Good luck and cheers.
Toyeen B. xo

In OIC JLT, Dubai:

At the Nigerian Embassy in Abu Dhabi:










All pics & vids are mine. ©️
All rights reserved. ®️



Toyeen B's World: I wish the Nigerian Embassy in Abu Dhabi would emulate this from the Ugandan Embassy.

12 comments:

  1. Denrele Yusuf15:07

    Too foine!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bose15:08

    This infos will be useful for many Nigerians there.
    Thank you ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex Okey15:09

    This is the content we signed up for.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARRY ME

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boluwatife Adeosun11:04

    NICE ONE MAMA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kribo James11:05

    Toyin B, you are doing a great job, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAKA ARONU12:03

    Oh yes, I can relate to the experience, although mine was a slightly different experience, before the pandemic I applied 3 days before my passport expiration date and I got my new passport the next day. I must commend that the process was swift and seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHMED DXB12:48

    I will follow your instructions, my passport will expire next month

    ReplyDelete
  9. Henry Adefowope03:03

    Very informative and well written article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:38

    Beautiful you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lawunmi Shodeinde18:48

    THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rita Mordi23:38

    Detailed, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun