Sunday 31 March 2019

#DWC: #DubaiWorldCup poem by the Dubai king

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, has published a special poem commemorating the Dubai World Cup.
Sheikh Mohammed publishes Dubai World Cup poem
Posting on his Instagram account, he wrote: "My passion for horses goes back a long way / They are my life, my joy from the very first day".

You can read the full poignant poem below:

In “Al Wasl”* we held a joyous gathering
A land towards which people came hastening
And so “Al Wasl”, is a name from the past
The present Dubai, where aspirations last
Connecting people with love and generosity
Embracing visitors as they arrived eagerly
From around the world, the guests flew in
Bound by its spell, they found a great haven
Honored is the horse on this land and victorious
Whence every horse aspires to be glorious
A joyous celebration, year after year
Where the world’s best meet, from far and near
This World Cup is quite a unique one indeed
Everyone has heard of its success and great steeds
Every year we win and earn our trophy
For when horse owners meet, indeed it is victory
Winning is neither bound by a cup, nor complete
Though my horse is a winner, with the wind it competes
The presence of our guests is an absolute win
A win that fills me with peace from within
It brings me a joy that lingers, an utmost pleasure
A happiness against which none else can measure
My passion for horses goes back a long way
They are my life, my joy from the very first day
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
* The word “Al Wasl” means connection or to connect in the Arabic language. It is also what the city of Dubai was named in the past. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum uses it as a metaphor in this poem to illustrate how the Dubai World Cup connects people from all around the world.
Sheikh Mohammed publishes Dubai World Cup poem Image #2

2 comments:

  1. Denrele Yusuf18:07

    Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful poem penned for the Dubai World Cup 2019. I am looking forward to his newest iteration of Poems for the Dubai world cup 2020. I am sure he has written something inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun