Tuesday 26 March 2019

Charges dropped against Jussie Smollett after 'emergency' court appearance

In a stunning move, prosecutors in Chicago dropped all charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett on Tuesday, a month after he was hit with felony counts stemming from what police said was a staged street attack on himself in an attempt to get a pay raise.
The unanticipated development shocked Chicago, and prompted angry reactions from Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, who each reiterated their belief that the incident was a hoax -- with Emanuel wondering aloud, "Is there no decency in this man?" The duo went on to accuse to 'Empire' actor of receiving preferential treatment by the Illinois State Attorney's Office. Smollett appeared at an an emergency court hearing in Chicago Tuesday, where prosecutors told a judge they were dismissing the 16 charges of disorderly conduct and filing a false police report against the 36-year-old actor.
Following the court hearing, Smollett publicly spoke, thanking his attorneys, friends, the citizens of Chicago and "the state of Illinois for attempting to do what is right."
Actor Jussie Smollett speaks to reporters at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse in Chicago after prosecutors dropped all charges against him, March 26, 2019.
"I want you to know that not for a moment was it in vain," Smollett said outside the courtroom. "I've been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of." "This has been an incredibly difficult time," he said. "Honestly, one of the worst of my entire life. But I am a man of faith and I'm a man that has knowledge of my history and I would not bring my family our lives, or the movement into a fire like this. I just wouldn't . Now I'd like nothing more than to just get back to work and move on with my life. But make no mistake I will always continue to fight for justice, equality and betterment of marginalized people everywhere."

2 comments:

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun