Wednesday 20 August 2014

News: But why are we Nigerians like this?

Hmmm...it just flashed my mind now when I blogged about Nigeria's divalicious actress, Genevieve Nnaji, taking the ice bucket challenge that, would the Americans do the same for us if tables were turned?
Don't get it twisted, I am NOT a racist, glad the few friends I have can attest to that but this question came to my mind: If a Nigerian came down with this Lou Gehrig's Disease and we started a fundraising just like they have, will they partake in the ice bucket challenge to raise awareness?

Here's the deal:

You've seen many Ice Bucket Challenge videos by now. If you haven't, revisit my blog.
Everyone from A-list celebs to your Uncle Arnold's best friend on Facebook has posted videos of them being doused by a giant bucket of ice water. Or by just a water bottle, if they are a huge, huge wimp.
What's the point of all this? It's a fundraising campaign for ALS research (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease), and basically once you get "challenged," you either have to donate to the ALS Association within 24 hours or get ice water thrown on you. And then you have to challenge other people (usually three) to do the same, and so on and so forth.
So far, this campaign has raised over $15 million for ALS research, plus we've gotten to see the likes of David Beckham, Tom Hiddleston, Ronaldo and Robert Downey Jr. , Oprah, JLo, Nigeria's Dencia, Don Jazzy, Genevieve et al  get iced taking this challenge.

Well, for starters, some people don't understand the purpose of the campaign. The ice water bath is supposed to be a punishment for not donating, not a requirement. But some of the time people are just doing the ice bucket and not donating, and then challenging other people. Which is fine, sure, because at least it's raising awareness for ALS research. But the point of this whole thing is to make people donate money.
I bet many Nigerians do not even know the rational behind this #IceBucketChallenge, YES, I said it, sue me! LOL.
My own question still stands, will the Americans especially their celebrities do the same for us if the reverse was the case?
Yes, they tried in the "BringBackOurGirls" campaign, FINE but that was just about it! What about the Ebola experimental drug, ZMapp: The US ambassador to Nigeria gave some reason.
How much did they donate for the Ebola cause and how are they creating the awareness in the USA?
How far will we ourselves as Nigerians go to create awareness for a cause? Will our celebs, rich and famous, top governmental shots partake in the campaign no matter how silly it make look, like this ice bucket challenge?

Do you think you would see Beyoncé or Kanye West being doused by iced water if a non celeb Nigerian was hit by the disease and needed financial assistance, ok maybe the likes of Angelina Jolie or Ellen DeGeneres may....MAY I said, but definitely NOT Ronaldo, Beckam, Zuckerberg et al.
And over here, we have our "mighty" people joining the band wagon: Emmanuel Adebayor, Dencia, Genevieve, "so tey Don Jazzy wear babariga and wristwatch, frown do hin own" LOL.
It's all good though, just my own thought that I decided to pen.
But my question still stands, can someone please answer me?
Still I write..............TBW.
    Oluwatoyin Balogun's photo.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous21:33

    Keep it coming Toyeeenbee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ur blog. Very sincere. Keep them coming- true talk

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am telling u oooo...toyinnnn u re on point jare ...same thing me n my cous was talkin abt few hours ago ...hmmmmm i tire for naijas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roflmao at Don J reference .. His was more like spritual cleansing. Nigerians often enjoy following trends good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROTFLMAO.....@Spiritual cleansing!!! Yeah, copy-copy people, that's what we are!!! @Shades

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for TBW, I have seen lots of videos on this so called challenge and wondered what they were all about. Sometimes, I wonder too about our priorities and why we find it necessary to copy all the time; I will appreciate our copying what is beneficial at any time though and not senseless copying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Akwaete Udoh16:32

    If every American gave $1 for...

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun