Sunday 23 December 2018

Photos: My first Arab gig EVER, an engagement party in Dubai & it was SUPER

For the first time ever, I get invited to an Arab gig and it was my neighbour's engagement party in Dubai.
Image may contain: flower and plant
I have always been living in areas where a lot of expatriates and locals (UAE citizens) reside since I relocated to the UAE 5 years ago, but I have never gotten a formal invitation to any of the latter's events!
And trust me, there was always one event or ceremony or the other but you know, every villa to itself!
We did get 'Dates' and 'Cakes' from some of our Arab neighbours during the Ramadan though, exchanged pleasantries, were quite cool with one another but nothing more.
So on this fateful evening, I got an invite from... let's just call her Miriam.
Miriam lives 2 streets away from me and I had never even met her until a few days ago.
How I got invited was hilarious, you can read that HERE if you missed the post.

Ok, so after my church Christmas Carol Service around 8 pm on Friday, the 21st of December (which by the way was amazing), I dashed off to my hood for Miriam's engagement party which I had been looking forward to attending.
I got there around 9 pm and the venue looked like heaven (I have never been to heaven, but I can only imagine what it looks like)! LOL.
The venue was filled with fresh flowers, a few children and Arab ladies.
Even the DJ and helps were all women.
They were donned in beautiful, shimmery evening gowns and they all looked glamorous, very different from what they looked like in their Abayas and Hijabs!
Honestly, they all looked like fairy-tale princesses.

In their Abayas, all you can see are their made-up faces but at this event, I saw them in all their elements: Jewelries, hair and all that Jazz!
They were slim too, and young.
And very regal.

These ladies welcomed me warmly and I immediately felt at home even though I was the only coloured person there! Tehehehe....
In attendance were the bride's sisters, aunts, mom, in-laws, friends et al.
On display were the gifts given to the bride by her future husband and they included money, fabrics, expensive jewelries, perfumes (Ouds and Scents), a Rolex wrist watch, the stipulated bride price or dowry of AED20,000/$5,479 and many other things.
The bride's aunt told me that that bride price is a law in the UAE and all intending grooms MUST pay this figure, although they could pay more if they wish, but the extra on the AED20,000 is considered as gift which can go into the wedding preparations, or on any other thing the bride chooses.

At 9.20 pm, Miriam who had been indoors came out, looking so beautiful in her white or cream veiled gown.
She sat down on the seat reserved for her and her groom and was joined by friends and relatives who took photographs with her in batches.
I also went to take pics with her but I didn't use my own phones or camera to take pics of her, the groom and their guests because I wanted to respect their privacy.

While we were all dancing to Arabic music supplied by a female DJ, my hosts' relatives asked where I was from and when I told them 'Nigeria', they placed a song with the DJ and told me I must really dance to the next tune as it was an African beat!
I was thinking they'd play any of Wizkid or Davido's songs, but alas, it was ''Djanjo Django kwana take it easy kuna mata ta' that I heard.
You remember The Lion King lyrics - "Hakuna Matata"?
🤣😂🤣😂
WHAT A WAWU!

Anyhow, around 10 pm ish, I just saw the beautiful ladies covering their heads with Hijabs and some wearing Abayas on top of their sexy dresses again and I was wondering what was going on.
Miriam's aunt now told me Miriam's dad and groom had arrived, hence the covering up.
I was like 'wow'!
The newly-arrived men also took time to snap pics with Miriam.
22 year-old Miriam and her husband-to-be looked adorable.
The couple later went indoors for more photo sessions.

Around 11 pm, dinner was served, on a buffet level and it was really nice!
Of course, there was no alcohol, but there were juices, Mocktails, sodas, coffees, etc.
There were also a lot of finger foods, sweets and desserts.

Miriam's aunt later told me that in Arab weddings and engagement parties, even if other men attend, they DON'T sit with the ladies, they have their own separate sitting arena!

I was introduced to Miriam's mother, pretty and very young-looking.
BTW Miriam and her groom are related, just like the Hausas roll too!
Miriam's groom who had know her as a family member, declared his likeness for her and informed the family and VOILA!
Arabs and Hausas apart from sharing the same Islamic religion have a few similar traits.
In the Northern part of Nigeria, Hausas and Fulanis can also marry one another even if they are related. (I know this because I did my NYSC in Sokoto and I was told by the locals).
Miriam's invites also made that sound, you know that sound Hausa women make when they cover their mouth with their hands and remove them at intervals, you know that sound, like 'hoo hoo hoo hoo'?
Ehen.
They also made it at Miriam's engagement party.

Anyways, I was truly welcomed, my hosts were amazing and I had a very memorable experience at my first ever Arab gig.
Hopefully I get invited to many more.
Huge thank you to Miriam and her family for the invite and from Toyeen B's World, we wish the couple a very happy married life!
Image may contain: one or more people
Chocolate ring.
Image may contain: 1 person
Image may contain: night, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: people sitting and food
Image may contain: indoor
Image may contain: flower and plant
Image may contain: tree, night, plant and outdoor
Image may contain: flower and plant
Image may contain: flower, plant and outdoor
Image may contain: flower, plant and outdoor
Image may contain: flower
Bride & groom's initials in chocolate!
Image may contain: Oluwatoyin Balogun, smiling
Image may contain: 1 person, indoor and closeup
Image may contain: Oluwatoyin Balogun, indoor
Image may contain: Oluwatoyin Balogun
Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature
No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: flower, plant and nature
Image may contain: flower and plant
No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: outdoor
Image may contain: food and indoor
Image may contain: one or more people, plant and outdoor
No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: night and outdoor
Image may contain: plant, flower and outdoor
Image may contain: flower and plant



Did you know that there's a stipulated bride price of AED20,000/$5,480 in the UAE? My new blog post: "My first Arab gig EVER, an engagement party in Dubai & it was SUPER" is a MUST-READ!. . The gifts from the prospective groom to his bride included expensive fabrics, perfumes, jewelries, a Rolex wrist watch & so many eye-popping things! Click the link in my bio to read how a typical Emirati engagement party is thrown!!!!. . #TBW #DubaiBlog #DubaiBlogger #Blogger #EducateYourselves #Culture #Tradition #Locals #Arabiya #ToyeenBsWorld #Lifestyle #Luxury #FreshFlowers #Fashion #Ouds #Hijab #DubaiEvent #Wedding #Engagement #KnowledgeIsPower #Dubai #MyDubai #VisitDubai #Emirates #Neighbours #ArabWomen #BridePrice #Dowry #Gifts #Party. . HAVE YOU EVER ATTENDED AN EMIRATI'S ENGAGEMENT PARTY? Let me know in the comment box below. . Cheers, Toyeen B. xo www.toyeenbalogun.blogspot.com
A post shared by Toyeen B's World (@toyeenbsworlddubai) on
Photos: At last, I get an invitation here in the UAE, mash'Allah!!!

Photos: What are Emirati weddings like? A must-read!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous01:35

    You nor wan old Toyin B?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toyin Tomatoe01:42

    Fine geh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boluwatife Adeosun01:46

    Aunt Toyeen B, what did you say happened to our web blog ma?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex Okey13:57

    Nice one ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter Odulaja19:34

    Fine pixels!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for the information..... you are too fine sha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am now looking for an Arab boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely write up T babe. Good pics too!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun