Tuesday 6 September 2022

Photos: How this 33 y.o Nigerian, Olumide Gbenro left the U.S. for Bali & lives a ‘life of luxury’ on $2,233 a month

Olumide Gbenro has never called one place “home” for long.
The 33-year-old entrepreneur grew up in Nigeria until he turned six, when his minister parents decided to move to London. Then, seven years later, the Gbenros were granted visas to immigrate to the United States through the country’s green card lottery — so Olumide, his parents and two siblings relocated to Columbus, Ohio. 
“Being a person of color, I felt that there were certain times in my life where I just didn’t feel valued as a human being,” Gbenro tells CNBC Make It of growing up Black in the Midwest. “I always felt left out.” Gbenro wanted a creative life: one that was filled with travel, art and opportunities to meet people from all corners of the world. But his parents wanted him to become a doctor, lawyer or engineer. 
In 2016, he finished his double master’s degree in epidemiology and behavioral science at San Diego State University. He found himself caught between two paths: go to medical school and become a doctor or travel the world. 
“All of my life, I just followed the rules, whether it was from my parents, religion or society,” he says. “But deep down I knew that if I took the position in the PhD program, I could never go back, I could never travel abroad … I’d be stuck to a lab, so I decided to say ‘no.’” 
Gbenro packed up all of his belongings and left the United States to see the world – but it would take him years to land in Bali, his forever home.

Rent and utilities: $1,010

Food: $600

Transportation: $98

Phone: $28

Health insurance: $137

Travel: $300

Laundry: $60

Total: $2,233


Continue reading HERE.


Culled From CBNC,

3 comments:

  1. Rita Mordi19:22

    Is he single? Asking for a sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boluwatife Adeosun19:26

    BALI LOOKS GOOD....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex Okey19:27

    Am now following him on Instagram thanks to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter: @toyeenbsworld
Instagram: @toyeenbsworlddubai
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToyeenB
YouTube: Oluwatoyin Balogun